Chicken Parmigiana As Measuring Tool:
My basic chicken parmigiana recipe:
- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 1h
- Total Time: 1h 20m
- Serves: 8
- Yield: 8 chicken parmigiana cutlets
- 8 chicken cutlets
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 16 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 cup bread crumbs (for dredging)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour (for dredging)
- 2 tbsp. parsley
- Set oven to bake, preheat to 400 degrees. Add vegetable oil to a skillet, put over medium heat on stove top.
- Place chicken cutlets between saran wrap. Pound each cutlet until approximately 1/4” to 1/2” thickness.
- Dredge each chicken cutlet in the flour. Dip entire cutlet into egg wash, dredge through the bread crumbs to fully coat chicken with a layer of breadcrumbs.
- When skillet has heated up, fry the chicken cutlets in the vegetable oil until light golden brown. Do not overcook.
- Coat the bottom and lower sides of an oven-safe dish with marinara sauce. Place the cooked chicken cutlets on top of the marinara sauce. Cover each chicken cutlet with a generous ladel-full of marinara sauce.
- Cover each chicken cutlet with 2-3 slices of the fresh mozzarella.
- Cover and place dish into oven and bake for 45 minutes or until mozzarella cheese has sufficiently melted.
- Remove from oven, garnish cutlets with fresh cut parsley and basil, and serve over a bed of spaghetti and remaining marinara sauce or on Italian bread as a sub.